Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Late August Garden Update

So much has happened since I last posted (dinner plate dahlias and more new plants than I could number) that I'll just start with today :) Today was an exceptional gardening day, even though I didn't last out in the heat very long.

Today I had some fun gardening firsts for which I'm thankful. I planted my first recycled celery plant in the ground (I'd started it in a bowl a few weeks ago and it grew 3-4" of leaves already!), I planted my very first rooted cuttings of Cuban oregano and some lovely red coreopsis I also rooted from cuttings. And, I made a new friend via freecycle who let me enjoy her private garden and gave me a giant hosta plant and 3' tall lady fern (hoping both will survive the heat wave transplantation although the lady fern is looking pretty stressed). Also I had the lovely sighting of two preying mantises (one in my garden and one in my new friend's garden), a bunch of butterflies, moths and birds. Lovely! 

So, even though my garden is overrun with weeds, there are still lots of beautiful flowers to enjoy and I'll do what I can, when I can and pray for the best. Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment